Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Desert Rain

MUSIC OF RAIN

Please, sleep, not tonight.
Music of desert rain thrills my soul.
Can't miss a beat of it.
Deep humming waterfall pounds
The roof drum over my bed and
Counterpoint staccato needles of raindrops
Rise and fall with the rhythm of rain.

No lying in bed.
Wonder pulls me to spattered windows.
Glimpses of impatient waterfall on patio steps.
Mountains hidden behind a curtain of rain
Tame craggy desert into Kansas flatland.
Valley lights twinkle through thick clouds of mist.
Puddles call for wet dashes and dips of bare toes.

Abed, drifting to sleep.
Desert earth opens wide to the rain,
"Yes, I've waited for you so long."
Red plum tree, drooping in October chill, moans,
"Too late, baby. But I'll take your wetness to live."
Cacti, drought slack, plump up, proud of their spikes.
A wet dream, relief comes to dry stony ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment